Saturday, February 16, 2013

Keeping It Simple

I am the first one to admit, when I feel passionate about something, I tend to run off at the mouth. I speak before thinking, my little chubby rl fingers flying across my keyboard.  This tends to be especially true when it comes to my SL Facebook.  Due to the internet, people who never really felt they had a voice before, can now, with a click of their mouse, or a swipe at the enter key, have their opinion spread out amongst hundreds if not thousands of people. This can be wonderful as grassroots movements can spread like wildfire, much faster than before.  It also has a draw back....Everyone thinks that they have the right to say what they want, when they want at the exact moment they have the thought....free speech is a wonderful thing, but it also comes with responsibility.  There is a reason why people can and do sue for libel, slander and defamation of character and why hate speech that induces other people to commit violence is against the law. Basically, censorship sucks...but mind yourself cause your words, not just your actions have consequences.

 
 There is the Golden rule - treat others as you would like to be treated and there is the Platinum Rule - treat others the way they want to be treated. These two thoughts run through my head quite often, especially when I am about to go off on something or someone.  Due to my own mouth quite recently, I hurt two people I care about quite deeply.  Luckily for me, both those people did forgive me and things were salvaged as they knew I did not mean what I said in a mean way nor was I malicious in my intent. Nevertheless - both would have been in their rights to do what they felt they needed to do cause of my careless words.  I am extremely lucky in this regard.  But ever since then, it has been in the forefront of my mind -- My words not only reflect on me, but on those I represent and with whom I am friends with. I am pontificating on this because recently, there was something said to many many people, that was actually very cruel and disguised under the veil of humor. While the person who stated this, took the role of victim when called out on it, decrying censorship, it made me think and wonder. Words are subjective and can mean many things to many people. I took it as being highly mean spirited and just cruel, but does crying out CENSORSHIP release us from the personal responsibility of our words. Do we honestly have the right to say anything we want the exact moment we think it? For fear of being labeled a Censor, should we accept and even condone speech that is cruel and mean-spirited? Where is the line between a right granted to us from the divine and basic human courtesy and respect to our fellow human beings. Is my right to spout off at the mouth greater than another persons feelings?


What I have learned during my little smack in the face lesson of my words do have consequences, is keep it simple.  Take a step back and weigh the pros and cons of something. On SL everything tends to be magnified...emotions heightened.  We take out the stresses of our real lives out on SL.  Things that we wouldn't even think twice about screaming out in RL we do on SL.  It's finding that middle ground, those shades of gray.  SL tends to be black and white...love/hate, good/bad, amazing/horrible. Our own personalities tend to be magnified in some respects.  Now, this whole way of thinking is very new to me.  Taking a step back, but I have started to have a calm about my sl that I love.  I am not stressed, I come here to relax and unwind from my RL.  I laugh a lot more.  I started using this blog to convey how I feel.  If people chose to come to it, they can...It's not in their face on their timeline or on their twitter feed.


Keeping it simple in my words and actions has become a mantra for me in 2013.  Which is why I chose to feature this simple, yet expertly textured dress in this specific blog post.  Lilly Juno, who many may know as the amazing designer/builder behind Prism Furniture is making the move from Furniture to Clothing.  Her new clothing line, called Immerse is starting soon.  She imed me the other to ask how to get posting rights in a group I manage and we started to talk.  She showed me the texture of this dress, simple called Eden, and I fell in love with it.  It's simple yet classics lines is something that I fell in love with. I put it on, and I fell in love with it.  It is not often I get the honor of blogging a designer who is new to the world of fashion. Because of Lilly's work with SL Furniture, her texture work is amazing.  This dress is a soft, yet tight knit fabric that hugs every curve of my body and the super sexy super deep plunging back gives it that elegant vavavoom that I love.  Styling this outfit, I kept it extremely simple.  Magdalen Hair from LeLutka and just a pair of earrings by Chop Zuey and I felt like I was ready to go.

I suppose I could have dressed it up more.  Throw on a hat, a longer necklace....scarf maybe.  But I wanted to keep it simple....I know I could have done more.   But just because you can....doesn't mean you should.  Sometimes it's best to just keep it simple.


Hair - Magdalen in Pitch - LeLutka
Eyeshadow - Drama Black Eyemakeup in Black - Glamorize
Lipstick - A Windsong (Lips Only) - Madrid Solo
Earrings - Ma Songe Gold Earrings - Chop Zuey (Christmas Gift)
Dress - Eden Gown in Rose - Immerse 
Shoes - Triumph in Nude - N-Core
Poses - Limited Edition Pack - Posesion (no longer for sale) 

No comments:

Post a Comment